Wearing a protective style like weaves, extensions, and wigs is an investment when considering cost, time, and maintenance. So, shouldn't taking care of your bundles and wig units consists of using products designed specifically for them? Continue reading to learn tips on how to care for your weave at home to extend its beauty and wearability.
Caring For A Weave Isn't The Same As Caring For Your Real Hair...
In this particular blog, to eliminate confusion the term "weave" also implies extensions and wigs. That said, caring for your weave is quite different than caring for your real hair because weaves can be manufactured with synthetic or human hair. Here's the difference between a synthetic weave vs. human hair weave, and how-to best care for each one specifically:
A synthetic weave is less expensive than a human hair weave and usually comes already styled at the time of purchase. It's made of manufactured hair fibers; therefore, it can only be thermal styled at low temperatures. While some synthetic weaves cannot take heat at all without damaging or burning it. It's important to note that a weave made of synthetic hair lacks cuticles, so hair products do not penetrate the hair shaft.
Synthetic Weave Care Recommendations:
- Synthetic weaves do not need to be cleansed as often as human hair weaves. Only shampoo synthetic weaves to remove impurities or to restore dull hair to a natural shine. Excessive cleansing can shorten the life of a synthetic weave.
- If your synthetic weave CAN be thermal styled - protect it with a lightweight heat protectant prior to blow-drying and using hot styling tools. This helps reduce shedding and damage. Always use low-temperature settings.
- Improve hair manageability by applying a lightweight Argan Oil (that can be used on damp or dry hair) to give your weave a soft and lustrous appearance.
Product recommendations: Design Essentials Natural Moroccan Oil Sulfate-Free Conditioning Shampoo, Moroccan Oil Detangling Blow-Dry Conditioner, Moroccan Oil Finishing Thermal Serum, Moroccan Oil Shine Spray.
Human Hair Weaves
Human hair weaves (commonly referencing Remy hair or unprocessed Virgin hair) is more expensive than synthetic weaves, is of higher quality, and lasts between 1 to 3 years with proper care. The hair cuticles are kept intact and (sometimes) all face the same direction - resulting in less tangling and shedding. Therefore, human hair weaves can withstand styling versatility, thermal styling, and color processing with very little issues.
Human Hair Weave Care Recommendations:
- Shampoo human hair weaves every 10 - 14 days to cleanse hair of dirt, oil, and product build-up. If your weave needs additional moisture use a penetrating conditioning mask to lock hydration into the hair shaft.
- Protect your weave before blow-drying and using hot styling tools with a lightweight conditioning spray and thermal serum. This helps reduce shedding and damage. Always use low-temperature settings.
- Human hair weaves are easily weighed down by too much product. So, you may opt out of using a finishing shine spray if needed.
- For curly human hair weaves, always apply a lightweight Argan Oil (that can be used on damp or dry hair) to improve hair manageability and give your weave a soft and lustrous appearance.
Product recommendations: Design Essentials Natural Moroccan Oil Collection, Design Essentials Platinum Ultra Moisturizing Mask.