Both styling products are specially formulated with Marshmallow Extract to rejuvenate, moisturize, and strengthen your hair when creating wraps, sets, molds, and curl enhancing styles.
But you may be wondering, “Does the Styling Mousse or Styling Lotion work best for my hair?”
It really depends on your hair texture characteristics. So, keep reading to find out how to choose the right Platinum styling product according to your fine, normal, or coarse hair texture.
How To Identify Hair Textures
- Fine hair has the smallest diameter and if you took a single strand of hair in between your fingers; you wouldn’t be able to feel the strand of hair. Fine hair lacks natural body and bounce. It is easily weighed down by product and is resistant to holding styles.
- Normal (or medium hair) is the most common hair texture and is the standard to which other hair is compared. If you took a single strand of hair in between your fingers; you can somewhat feel it between your fingers. Medium hair does not pose any special problems or concerns.
- Coarse (or thick hair) has the largest diameter and if you took a single strand of hair in between your fingers; it’s easy to feel. Coarse hair is stronger than fine and medium textures. It is very elastic and possesses great curl-memory.
Now let’s find out which styling product is best for your hair texture…
If Your Hair Texture Is Fine to Normal Use Design Essentials Platinum Styling Mousse
Fine to normal hair textures require very little styling product. In fact, less is best to avoid weighing down the hair. For this reason, we recommend using the Styling Mousse since it provides a light to medium hold without flaking or buildup, while leaving your strands feeling soft and hydrated with a vibrant, healthy shine.
Watch as @crowwncurls shows us how to add fullness and shine during her wash and go routine using the Design Essentials Platinum Styling Mousse:
If you rock a short length cut or tapered style, the Styling Mousse was created with you in mind too! Simply apply a generous amount of the Styling Mousse to clean, towel dried hair and proceed to mold or wave. Let hair dry completely under a hooded dryer, then style hair as desired.
Beautiful finish on this short creative style using Design Essentials Platinum Styling Mousse to set and mold. Photo credit: @360_hairstudio.
When creating more defined, textured styles (like roller, rod, or twist sets) on fine to normal hair textures, consider using Design Essentials Platinum Concentrated Styling Lotion since you can achieve flawless sets with the right diluted formula (1 oz. Styling Lotion to 4 oz. Water). Keep reading to learn more….
If Your Hair Texture Is Normal to Coarse Use Design Essentials Platinum Concentrated Styling Lotion
We particularly love this quick drying concentrated Styling Lotion because it can be diluted to provide styling flexibility ideal when creating highly defined rod, roller, or twist sets on normal to coarse hair textures. But it’s all about diluting properly based on the Formula Guide For Sets & Holds:
- For a medium hold on normal textured hair, mix 1 oz. Styling Lotion to 2 oz. – 3 oz. Water.
- For a firm hold on natural thick/coarse textured hair, mix 1 oz. Styling Lotion to 0 oz. – 1 oz. Water.
Design Essentials Platinum Styling Lotion from Design Essentials Platinum Styling Collection.
Check out this video of @_harrisjanae_ slaying a beautiful perm rod set on coarse natural hair using Design Essentials Platinum Styling Lotion. The results are everything!
We hope this blog has provided you with detail on how to choose between the Platinum Styling Mousse vs. Styling Lotion according to your fine, normal, or coarse hair texture. Always remember, when using any new Design Essentials product never hesitate to ask your stylist for pro advice to get the best results.
Ask your hairstylist about purchasing styling products from the new Design Essentials Platinum Styling Collection or click here to locate a professional stylist in your area. For more information, please visit designessentials.com.